Insights • Inspirations • Destinations • Design

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Return Of The Glamorous Years

Jay Gatsby is back. 

This excites me more than anything. More than hearing Pantone's prediction for 2013 is Monaco Blue. Even more than hearing that Downton Abbey is doing a fourth series. (But sadly, without Matthew and Mary. Oh Matthew, why are you falling for Broadway?) 

I'm so excited about the return of The Great Gatsby that I don't think I can wait until May 10 for Baz's beautiful film. In fact, I'm quietly worried that we'll all be OVER the 1920s by then. Seeing Baz's version after the world has already gorged on the trend will be like seeing Robert Redford lying in the pool after being shot in the back by Myrtle's husband George Wilson. Quietly anti-climatic. 

Gatsby was everywhere in Paris last month. Everywhere.  If you blinked, you could've been forgiven for thinking you'd fallen into a time slip and landed with a clatter of pearls at a gin-soaked soiree on Long Island somewhere. Many of the big fashion boutiques were busily devoting windows to the decadence of the 1920s, bookstores were filling windows with F. Scott numbers, and florists were doing arrangements using lots of black and gold. 

We're definitely seeing a return to the va-va-voom years.



Vintage cover.


Kate Spade clutch.


A still from Baz Luhrmann's forthcoming movie with Leonardo diCaprio.


A stamped tribute.


F. Scott Fitzgerald's former home in Paris. 
I always walk past on my walk to the Luxembourg Gardens and pause in respect.

Another of F. Scott Fitzgerald's apartments on the St Sulpice Square, now a fancy hotel. 


FSF's passport.


A fantastic book about Sara and Gerald Murphy (supposedly the inspiration for many of FSF's books), and their time with Scott and Zelda in the south of France,


A poster in a Paris bookstore.


A poster for Baz's new film.


The trend for 1920's legs is already showing up in London department stores. {Unsure of credit}


{Unsure of credit, but love it.}


One of Grace Coddington's most beautiful shoots, for US Vogue.



Bryan Ferry's latest reinvention, assisted by some alluring 1920's style women. Very Ferry. {Shot by Richard Grassie}


Series Three of Downton Abbey which opens in the spring of 1920.



Giorgio Armani.


Shakespeare & Co in Paris



Shakespeare & Co; a bookstore that's far, far more than just a literary cliché. It's a place that groans (quite literally, because the floorboards are stairs are so old) with history. The atmosphere here is wonderful. No wonder FSF and Hemingway loved it.


Ralph Lauren, who dedicated his St Germain windows to a Gatsby theme.


Johanna Johnson.


A new rug collection by Catherine Martin (Baz's parter), inspired by the film.


Via the lovely Collage of Life. 

And this quote, my dear friends, is precisely why I love this writer so much.


22 comments:

  1. Dear janelle

    What a beautiful post! Was the letter to his daughter Scotty? (I've often wondered how she turned out and what happened to her.) Or from one of his books? Yes, can't wait for the movie, hope it will be a great success - the stills are certainly stunning. Catherine Martin is such a clever designer.
    Baz did wonders for the Moulin Rouge with that movie. Apparently it was struggling at the time and ever since has been a roaring success. We watched endless busloads of people arriving one evening.
    The bookshop pictures reminded me of "Funnyface" - it was on Foxtel again the other night. Quite magical. Best wishes, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was reminded of Scott too when I saw the passport. I do hope she didn't turn out like Sunday Reed's adopted son. Or Hemingway's poor boys. Fingers crossed she escaped the horrors of fame.

      Love Funny Face. So many great scenes in that film. The 'Think Pink' scene is wonderful. Kay Thompson's character was apparently based on Diana Vreeland. Kay was also the author of the famous Eloise books. (She lived at the Plaza Hotel in NY; the setting for the books.) Fred Astaire was also great playing the role of Richard Avedon.

      xx

      Delete
  2. You have really managed to evoke a mood . Isnt that collage of life fantastic? thoughI wonder if FSF always felt that way..sorry for my down mood there.

    I, too, want to see things that startle me and I think you will at NASCAR! Im LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be sorry for your down mood. Everyone has down weeks. It's that time of year.

      Nascar is an experience. We went this year (North Carolina). I stayed in a hotel room for 2 days while he mingled with Marcos Ambroise fans. So my partner owes me big time! I'm saving that little credit up. xx

      Delete
    2. Kay Thompson was also Liza Minelli's godmother.

      Delete
    3. I would have gone to Nascar..I couldnt stay in the hotel room that long.Im sure you've got ideas for that credit

      Delete
    4. Just been told by my son that Marcos Ambroise is an Australian used to race V8s.

      Delete
    5. Hi Miss SMR, I took the Nascar reference out as I don't think anybody understands it in Australia. x PS And yes, Ambroise is revered in Nascar circles. But he's not that great. I think the cars have let him down. OMG, I'm sounding like a Nascar nut!

      Delete
  3. So much to love in this post! Bryan Ferry, Grace Coddington, Catherine Martin, Baz Luhrmann, Georgio Armani and Ralph Lauren all referencing the Great Gatsby.
    I was so inspired, I downloaded The Great Gatsby on to my kindle ( you have to get one!).
    The Baz Luhrmann version will be wonderful - look at that still, but can it match the Robert Redford/Mia Farrow version?
    New Orleans - will you be at home at all next year? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New Orleans is Sept 19, so ages away! I'd love to do Halloween there though; apparently the city comes alive (so to speak).

      Have been eying off the new mini iPad. The problem is, I have so many expensive programs on my MacBook for designing books (InDesign, etc) that it's redundant taking an iPad AND a MacBook overseas. And the iPads aren't really made for typing up 80,000-word books! I'm so envious of you all. Would love a Kindle or iPad. Hopefully next year.
      xx

      Delete
  4. Ah well, as a devotee of the pursuit of glamour, of course I am all in favour of this rise of elegance. It's something which has been stirring for a good few years, I think, even before the excitement of this remake. Has been twinkled around the edges of a few catwalks stretching back 4 years or so; there is definitely a mood for it.

    And therein lies the beat: we are tired of the politically correct, the minimalist outlook, the oh-so-serious severe predictions for the future. Somewhere, amongst it all, there is a mood for something more elusive: a little softer, a little more optimistic.

    And so the social/fashion/ mood pendulum swings. A reaction, as it always seems to be, to what has gone before. We want to be startled, but we also want to dream.

    Bravo to all glamour, I say!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Miss GD. Glamour has been creeping back in for a few years. You just have to look at the recent Dior collections. And Chanel too. And Jason Wu. Here's hoping it stays around for a while to come! xx

      Delete
  5. Lovely post Janelle and I am very much looking forward to all things 20's! Great Gatsby here we come. And gorgeous snapshots of an Australian Christmas photographs from your previous posts - am getting excited now as I am back over to Melbourne for Christmas and New year... Not long now. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Great Gatsby part 1..in Dolly magazine in 1970s

      Delete
  6. Baz should host a special Thank You Lovely Bloggers Red Carpet Premiere, 'cos I reckon the movie will be swept along & benefit no end by our community's support & publicity.

    FSF was responsible for my very, very favourite quote of all time//'They fell briskly into an intimacy from which they never recovered'. Big sigh.......
    M xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a great quote. Let's hope we're not all sick of the 1920s by May 10!

      How's the downhill slide to Christmas going? Is MOTH doing it all this year?
      xx

      Delete
  7. Janelle, a wonderful post! It would be nice if we returned to a little bit of glamour, and civility. No more pj's and undergarments as everyday clothing. At least I hope.

    I enjoyed your last two posts of the Australian Christmas, beautiful, colorful and relaxing.

    Still laughing as I type this about your being terrible as washing the dishes, if you figure away to sidestep the other duties let me know, I would love a few tips.

    I think that you can have a beautiful Christmas and be conservative on the spending, there are so many natural elements that make Christmas special and yet leave us to spend out funds on important things like books, and travel!

    Have a great night, and THANK YOU for such a beautiful blog. I am inspired each time I visit!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yours is gorgeous too Miss Elizabeth. Just trying to live up to its glamorous standards! x

      Delete
  8. Hi, I've just discovered your blog. Gorgeous stylish photos... love the clothes, the 1920s fashions, vintage style, Grace Coddington and Bryan Ferry too! Everything looks so glamorous while I'm sitting here typing in my shorts & t-shirt looking very unglamorous! Have added you to my favourites list and will have a look at your earlier posts now.
    Regards,
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Janelle, Thankyou for a glamorous post? I have just sent "Tender is the Night" to my son's girlfriend for Xmas in UK. She is an avid reader and I was looking for something different.My son and his girlfriends's family are going to
    France for Xmas.No I am not jealous! We are going to UK in March and Paris in April so I am loving all the Paris tips.I say bring back the glamour! I just love it how
    fabulous it must have been in the Roaring Twenties.
    I love nothing more than glamour.Really enjoying the posts. X Trish

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Janelle, Thankyou for a glamorous post? I have just sent "Tender is the Night" to my son's girlfriend for Xmas in UK. She is an avid reader and I was looking for something different.My son and his girlfriends's family are going to
    France for Xmas.No I am not jealous! We are going to UK in March and Paris in April so I am loving all the Paris tips.I say bring back the glamour! I just love it how
    fabulous it must have been in the Roaring Twenties.
    I love nothing more than glamour.Really enjoying the posts. X Trish

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. It's always lovely hearing from The Library's readers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...